Julian Ławrynowicz — BIOGRAPHY
Julian Ławrynowicz – had obtained a MSc in Physics and MSc in Mathematics at the University of Łódź. He also completed there his PhD Thesis on quasiconformal mappings. As a post-doc he worked at the Imperial College in London and at the University of Cambridge. Still at the University of Łódź he completed in 1968 his Habilitation on quasiconformal mappings with invariant boundary points. After that he was a Visiting Professor in Helsinki, Pisa (Scuola Normale Superiore), Rome (La Sapienza), Göttingen, Mexico City (CInvEstAv), and Tokyo. His current research interests include conformal and biholomorphic invariants, hypercomplex potential theory, physics of condensed matter, Clifford analysis, and fractal analysis including applications to thermodynamics of metallic alloys. In 1972-2002 he served as the Head of Department of Complex Analysis and Differential Geometry in the Mathematical Institute of the Polish Academy of Sciences. He became a Full Professor there in 1976 and in 1983 also a Full Professor in the Institute of Physics of the University of Łódź. In 1983-97 he was the Secretary General of the Łódź Society of Sciences and Arts; since 1995 he is elected ordinary member of the Société Scientifique de Bruxelles.
Selected publications – Books as author
• Rachunek wairiacyjny z wstępem do programowania matematycznego [Calculus of Variations with an Introduction to Mathematical Programming], WNT, Warszawa 1977.
• On a Class of Capacities on Complex Manifolds Endowed with an Hermitian Structure and Their Relation to Elliptic and Hyperbolic Quasiconformal Mappings, Dissertatones Math. 166 (1980).
• Variationsrechnung und Anwendungen, Springer-Verlag, Berlin-Heidelberg-New York-Tokyo 1986.
Books as co-editor and co-author
• Elementy analizy zespolonej [Elements of Complex Analysis] [with J, Krzyż], WNT, Warszawa 1981.
• Quasiconformal Mappings in the Plane. Parametrical Methods [in cooperation with J. Ktzyż], Springer-Verlag, Berlin-Heidelberg-New York-Tokyo 1983.
• Deformations of Mathematical Structures. Complex Analysis with Physical Applications [ed.], Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht-Boston-London 1989.
• Foliations by Complex Manifolds Involving the Complex Hessian [with J. Kalina and M. Okada], Dissertationes Math. 331 (1994).
• Defurmations of Mathematical Structures II. Hurwitz-Type Structures and Applications to Surface Physics [ed.], Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht-Boston-London 1994.
• Lvov Mathematical School in the Period 1915-45 as Seen Today [co-eds B, Bojarski and Ya.G. Prytula], Banach Center Publications, Institute of Mathematics, Polish Academy of Sciences, Warszawa 2009.
• Applied Complex and Quaternionic Approximation [co-eds R.K. Kovacheva and S. Marchiafava], Ediz. Nuova Cultura Univ. “La Sapienza”, Roma 2009.
• On the coefficient problem for univalent polynomials, Proc. Cambridge Philos. Soc. 64 (1968), 87-98.
• A concept of explaining the properties of elementary particles in terms of manifolds [with L. Wojtczak] 29a (1974), 1407-1417.
• On an almost complex manifold approach to elementary particles [with L. Wojtczak], Z. Naturforsch. 32a (1977), 1215-1221.
• Pseudo-euclidean Hurwitz pairs and the Kaluza-Klein theiries [with J. Rembieliński], J. Phys. A: Math. Gen. 20 (1987), 5831-5848.
• Pseudotwistors [with O. Suzuki], Internat. J. Theor. Phys. 40 (2001), 387-397.
• Nonlinear paraboli equations, relaxation and roughness [with Th. Aubin and L. Wojtczak], Bull. Sci. Math. (France) (2) 117 (2003), 313-327.
• Periodicity theorem for structure fractals in quaternionic formulation [with S. Marchiafava and M. Nowak-Kępczyk], Internat. J. of Geom. Methods in Modern Phys. 5 (2006), 1167-1197.
• Fractals and chaos related to Ising-Onsager-Zhang lattices vs, the Jordan-von Neumann-Wigner procedures. Quaternary approaxh [with M. Nowak-Kępczyk and O. Suzuki], Internat. J. of Bifurcations and Chaos 22, no. 1 (2012), 1230003 (19 pages).
• On the ternary approach to Clifford structures and Ising lattices [with O. Suzuki and A. Niemczynowicz], Advances Appl. Clifford Algebras 22, no. 3 (2012), 757-769.
• Fractals and chaos related to Ising-Onsager-Zhang lattices vs. the Jordan-von Neumann-Wigner procedures. Ternary approach [with O. Suzuki and A. Niemczynowicz], Internat. J. of Nonlinear Sci. and Numer. Simul, 14, no. 3-4 (2013), 211-215.